Versatile, energetic executive with leadership and entrepreneurial skills that drive tangible results. Thrives in team oriented company cultures. Adept at managing and mentoring diverse teams and personalities. Comfortable in hands-on, player/coach roles. Passionate about the intersection of art and technology. Connect with me on LinkedIn at: linkedin.com/in/kimberlythompsonpanay
- Brand Management
- Subscription Membership Acquisition & Retention
- Fundraising (for profit and nonprofit)
- Community Development
- Social Media Activation
- SEO and SEM
- Online User Experience & Design
- Corporate Communications
- Business Development
- Email Marketing
- Art Exhibition Curation
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum – Boston, MA
Director of Marketing and Communications – Oct 2018 to Feb 2020
Oversaw all marketing and communications related efforts of world-renowned museum, managing a nine person in-house team; as well as external contractors and vendors including a public relations firm, digital agency, branding agency, photographers, videographers; and overseeing a department operating budget of ~2 million. Upon hiring, kicked off development of new benchmarking effort that resulted in a museum wide “Indicators for Success” dashboard, setting the stage for data-driven decision-making moving forward.
Highlights include rebuilding the team by recruiting and hiring five new employees; developing first ever marketing and PR plans for three major annual exhibitions; overseeing five-year strategic plan roll out aimed at reaching strategic growth audiences (younger, local, and more diverse), including creating and testing a full suite of brand assets and marketing collateral; deploying a new digital strategy process and priority/decision making matrix to increase productivity and provide museum wide visibility into digital projects while reducing overall costs; and launching a new CRM-based email strategy in support of ladder of engagement.
Efforts resulted in an 8% increase in Museum attendance over the prior year, hitting a record high of 343,000 visitors; the gardenrmuseum.org website saw 815,500 unique visitors, an increase of 17% over FY19; and membership revenue exceeded goal by 12% closing the fiscal year out at $685,000 with 6,500 active members.
Mosesian Center for the Arts – Watertown, MA
Director of Exhibits and Engagement – Jan 2017 to Oct 2018
Board Member – Dec 2012 to Dec 2015
Developed and managed curated visual arts experience of 110,000+ patrons and guests visiting the Center annually. Overhauled strategy including upgrading call for art process from paper to online platform resulting in increased participation, professionalized artist communication and streamlined jurying process; incorporated guest juror element to raise cache and drive call for art entry volume and associated revenue; introduced interactive programming to exhibits and opening receptions to drive foot traffic and engagement, creating surprise and delight experiences for artists and visitors, and engaging press; launched exhibiting artist blog to further engage artists and patrons; formed partnerships with regional art associations to build awareness and reputation of visual arts program in artist community and beyond. Responsible for development related efforts of the Center encompassing cultivation and engagement of ~400 paid members; corporate, government and foundation grant writing and relationship building; and annual appeal; as well as shared responsibility for special events.
Prior to joining Center staff in early 2017, was member of board that set strategy and oversaw annual operating budget of ~1.2 million dollars. Served on marketing committee (chair), strategic planning committee and participated in visual arts program planning. Oversaw strategy and implementation for moving offline class registration online and transitioning CRM to Salesforce.
Sonicbids – Boston, MA
CMO, EVP Brand Partnerships – Nov 2008 to May 2013
Director/VP, Marketing and Online Operations – Sept 2002 to Nov 2006
Designed and executed marketing and product development efforts of industry-leading platform that enables bands and artists to book gigs and market themselves online. The company’s online service connects 400,000 bands with 30,000 music promoters and licensors from over 100 countries worldwide. Its Social Music Marketing product suite enables brand marketers to reach and engage music fans and consumers using rich music-oriented content. Social fan reach of membership exceeds 100 million.
Joined company in 2002 as third full-time employee. Bootstrapped company from $40,000 to $5,000,000 in annual revenue prior to taking Series A funding from Edison Ventures in 2007. Grew registered membership from 1,500 to 400,000 and annual revenue to nearly $10 million while expanding international revenue from zero to 30%. Oversaw, in partnership with CEO, development of strategy and presentation used to secure successful sale of company in January 2013 to Backstage, LLC with funding provided by Guggenheim Partners.
Key member of executive team that set direction for the company. Proven track record for delivering projects on time and on budget. Over the years responsibilities have encompassed:
- Marketing Communications & Product Marketing: Grew registered artist membership to 400,000 (70% North American and 30% International) with a paid membership subscription base of ~40,000 monthly. Deployed a healthy mix of SEO, social (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), thought leadership (speaking engagements, blog, webinar), affiliate marketing, email marketing (4mm monthly), PR, event marketing and advertising (PPC, display & print) to achieve goals. Supported inside sales team with lead generation.
- Product Management: Oversaw design and development of online and mobile products including requirements, wireframes, design and development. Executed both project-based and agile development strategies. Researched, recommended and deployed third party technology and local/offshore contract teams as needed.
- Partnership Management: Developed and executed exclusive six and seven figure strategic partnerships with festivals and associations including South By Southwest, CMJ, Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Bumbershoot Music & Arts Festival, National Association of Campus Activities and MIDEM Cannes; and branded entertainment programs with companies including Diesel, Red Bull, MTV, Live Nation, Converse, JanSport, Universal Pictures and Zippo. Leveraged Facebook extensively to drive partner customer acquisition and engagement.
ZoomInfo – Waltham, MA
Director of Marketing Communications – Nov 2007 to Nov 2008
Oversaw marketing and communications for ZoomInfo, a vertical search engine focused on people, companies, and the relationships among them, with funding provided by Venrock. Deployed a mix of thought leadership (speaking opportunities & webinars), digital marketing (landing pages, marketing site), email marketing, event presence and PR to support sales growth.
Oasis CD – Sperryville, VA
Director of Marketing – May 2001 to Sept 2002
Managed overall brand, marketing and online strategy of 2nd largest independent artist CD manufacturer in US.
- CMS (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal)
- CRM (Tessitura, Salesforce, Zoho, Ovation)
- Email & Marketing Automation (Lyris, Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, Wordfly)
- Help Desk (Parature, UserVoice)
- Project Management (Slack, Basecamp, Redmine)
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) & Google G Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite and Basic HTML/CSS
Syracuse University, School of Visual and Performing Arts – BFA, Illustration 1996